get in touch Phone logo02 8313 7035
23 years in Commercial Cleaning
Menu icon

Mould is a type of fungi that grows best in damp and poorly ventilated areas. Airborne mould spores can be found outdoors and indoor environments. When these spores land on damp indoor spots, they may start to grow and spread.

Fortunately, it is easy to recognise moulds because they tend to have unappealing patches of black, yellow, green, pink, brown fuzzy growths. Although mold and its spores are literally everywhere, active mold growth requires moisture. They can grow on visible surfaces, behind drywall, under carpets, or in the attic. Indoor mould grows well in damp areas or areas with excessive water.

How does mould affect your health?

The quality of the air that you breathe is vital for your general well-being. Sometimes touching or inhaling mould or mildew may have hazardous health effects. However, this does not mean that everyone can be adversely affected by the exposure to moulds. It is essential to point out that mould exposure may lead to infections, allergies, and toxin-related conditions.

We highly recommend reading through this PDF created by the NSW Government to learn more about the quality of air in our state.

Allergies

Exposure to moulds can sometimes cause allergic reactions. For example, you may start having itchy eyes, sneezing, sore throat, coughing, and even a running nose. To extreme cases, you may experience headaches or constant fatigue. You may also experience skin irritations or rashes.

Allergic asthma

In sensitive individuals, exposure to fungal allergens can cause asthma or asthmatic attacks. Research shows that there is a relationship between severity of asthma and mold growth or total dampness. This means that if you are suffering from asthma, you should avoid coming into contact with mould as this may aggravate the condition.

Infections

Individuals who are immunocompromised tend to be victims of fungal infections. An example of mould instigated infection is the pulmonary aspergillosis, an infection that occurs in the lung cavities. Its symptoms include headaches, pneumonia, bone pain and if not addressed it may cause weight loss. In other words, mould weakens your immune system and may cause or aggravate already existing health conditions.

How to clean and control mould growth

If you see or smell mould, it is essential to clean it and remove the mould as soon as possible. This is because it can damage the surface it grows on. You need to fix leaky plumbing faults, vent clothe dryers outside, open windows in the kitchen when cooking and bathroom when showering, use a vacuum cleaner when cleaning the house and hire a professional cleaner to do the job for you.

Both professional residential and commercial cleaners understand how to get rid of moulds and fungi efficiently using the right equipment. If you’re noticing the growth of mould in your factory or office building, please give a call and we’ll provide a free site inspection.

Don’t wait until mould becomes a serious issue for your business. Have it cleaned early and correctly by calling Evolve Cleaning in Sydney.

The following two tabs change content below.
Jennifer Price

Jennifer Price

Jennifer Price is the Client Happiness Manager at Evolve Cleaning. She dedicates herself to managing healthy business relationships while prioritising her client's commercial cleaning interests are met with each and every clean. Born and raised in Sydney, Australia, she lives and breathes cleanliness, hygiene, sustainability and has a huge love for dogs.